Monday 22 September 2008

Why RSS works...

This is a question I get asked a lot. Why does RSS work so well, why do my sites get exposure using RSS?

Ok - here's my take on this.


Imagine you have a big site with PR5, which is where most of the aggregators Brute Force uses rank.


All the pages on your PR5 site will rank well, not just the home page. So rename one of the pages mypage.rss rather than mypage.html and it should rank highly along with all the other pages on the website.


Think of RSS aggregators as websites and you start to see why your feeds rank so well. The feeds you submit to a feed aggregator are nothing more then a PAGE on that particular feeds' website.


A page you control, update, own and define it's parameters. Just like a page on a website has keywords, the feeds the Brute Force software submits to the various aggregators also have keywords.


So if you've created a feed tagged with "paxtons slinky friend" and submit this to the aggregators via the Brute Force software, anybody searching for "paxtons slinky friend" will find your feed with the links to your sites.

Oh, if you do have a feed tagged with "paxtons slinky friend" let me know and I'll send you some photos to add,,,

Yes, feeds have the added advantage of updating as soon as the source is updated, but essentially a feed on feedagg.com for example, is nothing more complicated than a page on feedagg.com


The weight that feedagg has, carries over to all the pages - so it carries over to your page - your feed.


RSS feeds rank well for these reasons. They originate from a high ranking RSS aggregator and are constantly updated - just like the search engines prefer.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Andrew,

VERY GLAD to have found you. I am big fan of Pete's also, but I have not had much success with all of this. I like your straight-forward approach and I have already learned a lot from you. Thanks and keep up the great work!

Peace
Denny...

Paxton said...

Denny

The common logic is that the shortest distance between two points is a straight line.

My experience tells me that the shortest distance between two points in Internet Marketing is a "series" of straight lines and the more lines you have the shorter the distance between your money sites and your buyers.

Here's my setup:
Money sites linked to free sites linked to article sites ALL linked to RSS Aggregators.

The RSS Aggregators, Articles sites and free sites are all "straight lines" pointing back to my money sites, making the journey for visitors to my sites much easier.

Each "straight line" in the setup is another chance to attract more visitors.

Each "straight line" is another interesting topic for my visitors to follow to my money sites.

Each "straight line" is another chance for me to establish myself as expert in what I want my visitors to buy.

Each "straight line" is another block of content the search engines see and follow - adding credibility and value to my site.

Series of "straight lines" all working in different ways to help me clinch the sale.

Andrew Paxton